Rosemary Roasted Potatoes and Veal Chops in Tomato Butter

I stumbled across fresh veal chops at WF. They looked so perfectly pink, and smelled of fresh milk. You know, that smell of good, open air markets that you get first thing in the morning (versus later in the day). This smell always makes me think of home; even when I visited recently, it's still amazing to me how a granite countertop without any modern refrigeration can keep the meat smelling like that.
Well...there was that, and then there was the astronomically high price. It made me wonder if I've been missing something with the other, cheaper veal chops I've purchased before. This was definitely a tease. So I decided to pick up a few, if for no better reason then to review the WH veal value.

Rosemary outside is getting bushy with all the hot weather we've been getting so I wanted to use it. I roasted potato wedges with olive oil, sea salt and the herb (see picture of the humble beginning). I then made the tomato butter to serve with the veal to balance the saltiness of the crispy potatoes. Veal was rubbed with salt and pepper, a little lemon zest and cooked in butter (I know, no picture! I'll add one a bit later). I deglazed the pan with cognac.
My humble opinion...the chop was good, tender, but butchered in a sloppy way. I couldn't tell when it was getting weighed, but when I got home, a few of the chops were in parts. All in all, a great cut, but not worth the price.

Comments

Popular Posts