Challah

I have never made a round braided Challah, mostly because I thought the braiding required the dexterity, that I don't have. Lucky for me, the bread dough is more forgiving then say...a three-year-old's hair.

I worked off a modified recipe, that I changed as well. This makes a small challah, just perfect for about 8 people.

1 cup water
1 tbsp dry yeast
4 1/4 cups of flour
2 extra large eggs
3/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup of honey
1.5 tsp salt
1 egg, for egg wash


Mix warm water with the yeast, let stand until it starts to bubble. For fresh yeast, typically 15 minutes. Mix flour and salt, add in the yeast mix, oil, honey and beaten eggs. Knead to incorporate and create a smooth, consistent dough.
Let sit for 10 minutes and flatten the dough. Spread raisins (plumped in water, drained) and fold dough several times to mix through. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with tea towel and let stand for about an hour. Punch the dough down and let rise for another 30 minutes.

Shape the dough (I did a 4 strand crown braid). Place on parchment lined cookie sheet. Paint with egg wash. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden and sounds empty when tapped.

L'Shana Tova!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am eating this tonight
Evelina said…
So now you are a bread maker. Nice!
Sarah said…
Shana Tova! That challah looks amazing!!!

Here at CJP (Boston's Jewish Federation) we love your blog!

I wanted to share our “Fast to Feed” initiative where we are asking people to donate the money they are saving by fasting this weekend on Yom Kippur and donating that money to those less fortunate. Here is more info - http://www.cjp.org/page.aspx?id=245692

If you think there is any way to promote this through your blog or facebook or twitter that would be amazing. Totally no pressure, but figured we would share.

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!
linda said…
this loks absolutley amzing and I have shared your blog with a few firneds.. I can tast eit..yummmm

linda
Anonymous said…
Unbelievable - I have to try this! By the way I just love your blog !!! Bella

Popular Posts