Beef Kebab with Onions and Apples

Making kebab is almost a cult experience.  I am far from a member, but I enjoy making and eating my version.  I've had a variety of versions of this dish and I can't say which I like better.  I am an equal opportunist when it comes to any dish where the cook is passionate about its preparation. 

2 lbs beef tenderloin (disclaimer: typically the best meat for kebab is pork or lamb.  If you use pork, you should also stick to tenderloin.  )
2 medium / small onions, cut into rings
2 medium apples
1/4 c vinegar
1/4 c cognac
1 tsp salt
20 black peppercorns
2 bay leaves

Cut meat into cubes, they don't have to be perfect but try to keep them consistent in size, about 1.5 inches.  Salt the meat and place in a gallon sized zip lock.  Mix the other ingredients in a small bowl and add to the bag.  Close the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.  When ready to cook, cut 2 medium apples (skin on) into thick wedges, removing the seeds.  Skewer meat, onions, and apples in a repeating pattern.  This should make about 6 skewers.  Grill (on a charcoal grill if available), rotating frequently, until golden on all sides.  Enjoy outside with an ice cold beer and at least one friend!

Comments

Popular Posts