Smoked Sausage

This was my second time using the sausage attachment on the kitchenaid. And I will honestly say, like the first time, I find natural casing to be very disturbing. That said, it's a surprisingly fun (and funny, there I am a 5 year old) process. The first batch was made with friends and grilled for dinner, following Sausage Bible cookbook.  Today, I wanted something between kielbasa and Canadian bacon...


5-6 lbs pork shoulder 
1/2 cup oatmeal (dry)
5-7 cloves of garlic
2 tsp of cracked pepper
2 tsp of dry coriander 
10-15 juniper berries crushed
Salt (I used about 2 tbsp)

Debone the pork shoulder and remove skin. Separate meat and fat. The lean meat chop into cubes about 1-2 cm, and the rest process in a grinder. Cook the oatmeal in 1 cup of water and cool before using.  Crush pepper and coriander in a mortar until uniform and add to the meat. Crush juniper berries and garlic add to the meat. Add the cooled oatmeal and season with salt. Mix and stuff into natural casing. Smoke over water bath with cherry and hickory wood chips until fully cooked through. Serve cooled on a sandwich or reheated on the grill with braised cabbage (my plan tomorrow!)

Comments

Popular Posts